Star of Saxony Lodge No 853
THE HISTORY OF THE STAR OF SAXONY LODGE No.853 (GC)
The Star of Saxony Lodge has a strong connection with the Royal
Air Force especially since it was the only one formed at a Royal Air Force
Station. The Saxony Lodge No.
842 (GC) sponsored this sixth Lodge in the District of Germany that was
consecrated on 22nd March 1958 in Hangar No.1 at Royal Air Force
JEVER in northern Germany.
The founding members were an international bunch comprising 6 from the English Constitution, 5 from the Scottish and 1 from the Irish Constitutions. The District Grand Master, W Bro J Lawlor MBE, performed the ceremony but the warrant, for some unknown reason, was not presented until 15th July 1961. With the closing of the airfield at Jever the Lodge moved in November 1961 to be close to Headquarters Royal Air Force Germany at Rheindahlen near Mönchengladbach. Initially established in a German Lodge room, the Lodge eventually moved ‘on base’ but this was not to be a permanent arrangement, and suitable premises were found in the local village where it meets to this day. In early February 2002 it will sponsor a daughter Lodge in Münich titled ‘Southern Star’; this is the first new Craft Lodge in the Grand Lodge of British Freemasons in Germany for 25 years, and is a source of great pride to ‘Star’. This most friendly of Lodges has, through the immense dedication of its members, survived many crises for the Lodge to return even stronger than they were before.